Today’s topics are the man in desert scene that I said that I would commence, and feedback from the Monsters anthology publishers (perhaps my post title is a spoiler).
My plan went like this:
- Make a desert landscape in Bryce (because I already own it) and export that to the Unreal Engine.
- In the Unreal Engine create some totally awesome materials and paint them on the desert.
- Create a picture from this.
Alas the theory pretty much belly-flopped when I tried to apply it. Well, not quite. I successfully created a desert height-map in Bryce and exported it as an object. I used a brilliant tutorial by David Brinnen.
But when I tried to import it into the Unreal Engine the frustration began. To research this I used lots of video tutorials. The most useful was by Thomas Haskell.
Things were OK while I was making my three layer materials, but once I got to wanting to paint really cool terrain and control lighting I started to have trouble. And…and… I could only get black shadows!!! Yes, I know that this has to do with ambient light… BUT I AM A CONTROL FREAK!!!
Anyway, after spending about 5 hours making only miniscule pockets of progress, I reverted to Bryce and simply imported two of my DAZ Studio figures into that scene. Voila!
Now this is only the beginning. I want to put some moons in the sky behind them, and perhaps insert a crashed spacecraft just beyond the dune. Maybe “dirty-up” the front character so he actually looks like he has been in a crash. I also need to fix up the fact that his collar is poking through his hood.
NOTE: Ironically I only used black shadows in this scene.
The most annoying problem in going down the Bryce route is Bryce’s memory limits. Despite using a little memory tool called LAA (or something) Bryce kept crashing as I produced this scene and it would not save. The issue is that DAZ Studio models and their textures are too big. That and the fact that Bryce is a 32-bit program. Oh well, the next steps will be in Photoshop.
As some of you may recall I wrote a little piece called “Tears of a Blue Priestess” and submitted it to an anthology. Alas I did not get accepted. I did get the traditional “thank you but there lots of applications and only a few made it in” letter. That’s cool. Most great authors got rejected several times and this is only my first time.
So onwards I strive :)
Thanks for reading.