You may recall from an earlier post that I decided to attempt to create a nude scene in DAZ Studio that used red curtains inspired by a fellow blogger (Liz Zusev). To do so I had to figure out how to create appropriate curtains and I did so (as detailed in my previous post). Now the actual nude.
Before I progress with this, let me just say that I tend not to like a lot of 3D digital nudes. They mostly feel cobbled together by adolescent boys and have “interesting” concepts of what aÂ naked body should look like.
This said,Â I am actually not certain that I even like my own. It certainly reflects my own fascination with dancers – hence the pose and theÂ stage setting. But is it beautiful art or merely poor erotica? I know that my intent was the former, but I am uncertain of the outcome. You can judge.
Anyway, before I show you the outcome, let me demonstrate the journey.
Firstly I put in my curtains, a blank Genesis model and my faithful old bathroom tiles.
Hmmmmmm. Bathroom tiles. Hmmmmmm. I need to ponder those.
Meanwhile, as my mind felt vaguely dissatisfied with my choice of floor, I added a morph to the basic bland Genesis model. Essentially I played with morphing between a couple of the models that I own.Â I spent a fair bit of timeÂ looking through Google images of dancers and decided to go for the ballet figure because I felt that I canÂ pose them more artistically.
But I still did not like those tiles. In the end I switched to a marble floor from a marble setting that I already had bought (it comes with Aslan Court from DAZ).
Having picked a ballet figure, I needed a ballet pose. Once again I Googled and methodically scanned images until I found one that simply called out at me. It was a ballerina bending backwards in, what I suspect, was some sort of swan pose. “OK” I thought and starting posing the figure.
To get an idea of what I am like when I am posing a figure… well… I save the file every time I move a leg or arm or even finger and am happy with it. Yep – a lot of saving.
Still not happy with it.
So I made lined up several more versions of the curtains, tweaking them each time to look a little different. And then favourite bit. Now I am sure that you have all read in my earlier blogs my love of the interplay of light and dark. And also how I like to play with coloured shadows. So spotlights here I come! I ended up only using two. One looked down on the figure from the top left and involved a very pale yellow light with deep shadows of even deeper blue. Then from the bottom right I used a deep purple spotlight, also with deep blue shadows.
The render actually looked pretty cool, albeit I rendered it at a width of 6000 pixels.
Next was the issue that my model had no hair. This was due to the fact that none of the hair that I owned for DAZ Studio tended to hang nicely. So I would have to create it in Photoshop. Luckily there were quite a few good tutorials on YouTube and I ended up making the following brush for myself:
I also dug out my old Wacom Bamboo tablet and decided that now would be the time to learn how to use it. Yep – I had had this thing for years and had never learnt to use it beyond simple doodling! The outcome was pleasing :)
Finally, I wanted to brighten up the scene. It was too dark (despite my love of shadows). So I used the lasso tool to make light triangles in the picture.
By now you are probably wondering what the outcome was. Well here it is. I hope that the journey getting to this picture was not too disappointing and I also hope that you can see some artistic merit in it.