Yep – another self-indulgent post!
Anyway, sorry folks for not posting for a week. Since signing my redundancy I have had much to dwell upon. Also, my daughter has taken over my computer â€“ installing SimCity and The Sims upon it.
Not happy. :(
And I have seen the latest Star Wars film.
Very happy. :) Don’t worry, this is all I am saying on that.
Anyway, Iâ€™ve been working on analysing way forward and I am interested to hear what some of you think about it.
First I’ve done a SWOT analysis. For those of you unfamiliar with the jargon, I’ve looked at my Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
- Good communicator
- Team player
Education and workplace experience
- Four university degrees covering History/English, Computer Science, Management and Education
- 32 years workplace experience, mostly in computing (with a huge database component), but also including public relations,Â teaching, management andÂ information security policies and procedures.
Specific skill strengths
- Databases (design, creation, administration & maintenance)
- Data analysis and reporting
- Business computer graphics
- Technical writing (policies, procedures, manuals)
- Good knowledge of ISO 27001:2013 about information security
- Cautious and risk averse
- Flippant to hide excessive anxiety
- Slow thinker (I like to figure out all the angles on things and refuse to be rushed into conclusions)
- sore eyes associated with my Keratoconus tends to make me prefer having my eyes closed or partially closed unless I specifically need to use them. People usually interpret this as being “disengaged”.
Specific skill weaknesses
- While I did program for several years (Delphi and VB) and even made it to being the Senior Software Engineer of a company, that was all a long time ago and I have not programmed in anything but TransacSQL since 2003.
- I have enough money to live on and pay all bills for over a year as long as I am not stupid with it.
- Data analytics looks like a really interesting field and I already have strong database and data analysis skills
- IT security is a rapidly growing field and I have implemented an Information Security Management System at a policy and procedural level
- Business Continuity Planning is also a growing field and I have done this for an organisation
- My experience designing business graphics – can I build on this using my knowledge as a 3D graphics hobbyist?
- I was once a High School Teacher. Can I use these skills to become some sort of professional skills trainer?
- I have written a couple of text books and computer magazine articles as well as a huge pile of workplace policies and procedures. Can I sell this writing skill, whether in a business environment or (more fun) for a magazine, e-zine or something else?
- I am obese and people tend to think fat people are lazy
- My Keratoconus and how it makes me look squinty and “disengaged”
- My age – 51 – a few employment agencies have told me that employers don’t like to hire computer people “that old”
- My programming skills are rusty and I don’t know or have experience with any of the current languages that seem to be associated with data analytics (e.g. Python)
- My 3D graphics skills are only at a hobbyist level
So my plan after undertaking the SWOT is:
- First 3 months of “liberation” from current workplace to be spent eating healthily and exercising with the objective of dropping about 20kg (preferably 30kg).
- Teach myself Python (not only good for data analytics programming but also good for Blender) and great some online data visualisations
- Maintain my blog, adding some more technical videos that demonstrate my skills
- Try to finish and publish my novel “Tempting in Shade” by September 2016
- In June 2016 put my name down at agencies for temporary work in the fields in which I am interested
So what do you guys think?
PS: the image at the header of the post just seemed appropriate :)