Have to keep today’s post brief as my eyes are aching a bit and have become quite blurry. Probably over worked them on the weekend with the piece of art that I am about to discuss.
Last week a good deal came from DAZ where I could buy a model dragon for some ridiculously small amount if I first bought a new product. So I did. Me being me, I decided to take the model out for a test run on DAZ Studio. Three days later here I am. So what I am showing you today has no real structure or thought to it other than “Cool – I am playing with a dragon”. Well, that is mostly true. This said, I did think “Let’s have it appearing in front of people on battlements.”
So the first thing I needed was battlements. Luckily Blender has a cool script called “add_mesh_building_basics” and I used this to build a basic wall:
I threw onÂ a rock texture from Textures.com. Made and applied normal, bump, displacement and specularity maps.
Then I turned Blender into sculpt mode and gave it a rough hewn look.
I also used Blender’s landscaping script to create some mountains. Pretty standard looking things so I would show them here.
Once I had finished in Blender I exported the objects as OBJ and imported into a scene in DAZ Studio. Did a bit of arranging, added an HDR sky and was ready for the dragon.
Now the dragon I got on the cheap is called a Millennium Sub-dragon. I am reasonably happy with it, though I figure that it could be smoother in places. Nevertheless it has a lot of morphs for wonderful customising, and that is something that I really appreciate.
I then added a couple of figures. Thought I would make one a bit muscular and heroic. Placed some spotlights around the scene facing left to right. So In DAZ it looked like this:
Then rendered in Iray. Result:
Time for post-processing in Photoshop.
As you would expect I played with Levels, contrast, vibrance. Nothing unusual. Then I added a place translucent gradient mask. This mask would be distance haze. Anywhere in the foreground I erased the haze. I also wanted the sky to have a feeling of clouds. So I grabbed one of my cloud photos (TIP: always have a library of skies). Here is the pic that I chose:
I then added this as a new layer, made it reasonably translucent and erased anywhere where it overlapped mountains or foreground.
The final step was to add a light dusting of snow in the air. I used the following tutorial from one of my favourite YouTube presenters: PHLEARN
The final result was this:
It’s not really what I first envisioned, but as always I am learning and that is a good thing :)
Thanks for reading.